Friday, May 16, 2008

Fries - Part One



I stayed at Berkeley’s Claremont Resort last week with the intention of giving myself some space to focus on a project. I needed as much time as possible to devote to the project so I decided to order room service. I usually order Club sandwiches when I travel because they tend to keep well and its ingredients are usually never the culprits of a food poisoning. I didn’t want to be hungry a few hours later so I decided to get something that packed a few more calories. I’ve always been a sucker for burgers so I ordered their sirloin cheeseburger with a side of fries and a Pellegrino.

When the food arrived I could instantly smell a strong garlic odour. I lifted the cover to notice that my fries were actually garlic fries. I referred back to the menu to confirm that there was absolutely no mention of garlic. Now, it isn’t that I don’t like garlic, but I find the whole garlic fries craze pretty lame. When did this become the standard dressing on fries? Unfortunately, restaurants all over are succumbing to this trend.

The burger ended up being one of the best I’ve ever had.